Can a person whose equitable interest in a property is being challenged give value for their legal interest in the property?

British Columbia, Canada

The following excerpt is from Petrick (Trustee) v Petrick, 2019 BCSC 1319 (CanLII):

In Bajwa at para. 16, our Court of Appeal stated that where a person whose equitable interest is being challenged gave value for his or her interest in the property, there can be no resulting trust. Multiple cases from this court have held that in order for a resulting trust to apply, a transferee must have given no value for his or her legal interest: Pavlovich v. Danilovic, 2019 BCSC 153 at para. 43, Mac v Mak, 2016 BCSC 1140 at paras. 119–120, Luo v. Vesterinen, 2017 BCSC 1566 at para. 76.

Other Questions

What is the legal test for valuing an interest in a property in a personal injury case? (British Columbia, Canada)
When one spouse excludes property that is real property, is that a spouse entitled to an undivided half interest in the increased value of the property? (British Columbia, Canada)
What is the test for establishing that a party registered on the title of a property has a legal and equitable interest in the property? (British Columbia, Canada)
If a person acts within their legal rights, is that person liable even if another person suffers a loss? (British Columbia, Canada)
How does a resulting trust arise when a person contributes to the purchase price of a property and the property is then placed in another person's name? (British Columbia, Canada)
Can an equitable mortgage be granted where there is informality in the granting of a security interest that prevents it from being a legal interest? (British Columbia, Canada)
What is the burden of explaining to a creditor or other person with interest in a property in suspicious circumstances? (British Columbia, Canada)
What is the range of damages awarded in a personal injury action against a property owner who lost access to their property due to trespass? (British Columbia, Canada)
Can an owner of a strata claim damages or recover property damages or loss of property value against another owner? (British Columbia, Canada)
Does a resulting trust arise when title to property is in one party's name but that party gave no value for the property? (British Columbia, Canada)

Alexi white

"The most advanced legal research software ever built."

Trusted by top litigators from across North America.